ESTIMATING MANAGER - ICT INDUSTRIAL DIVISION - CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT
Accountable to the Vice President – Operations for the successful preparation of estimates and bid proposals for various North American industrial construction projects of a general contracting nature, with a focus on structural, piping and mechanical disciplines of work.
- Preparation of complex multi-discipline estimates and proposal documents to suit a wide range of industrial construction projects throughout North America.
- Estimate from first principals, if necessary, costs for labor, equipment, and material for any discipline scope of work.
- Management of other estimators in the completion of take-offs, preparations of level 1 and 2 schedules, subcontractor coordination, and other estimate proposal work.
- Project site visitations for bid meetings and job walk downs.
- For successful proposals, lead estimate turnover meetings prior to project commencement to ensure Project Managers are aware of the final scope of work, timing, and exclusions in the final estimate.
- Develop and maintain labor rates for union and non-union work in North America.
- Maintain multi-disciplinary labor productivity factors for various areas of North American work, with an emphasis on structural, piping and mechanical work.
- Review of active and completed project cost and man-hour data to confirm or amend labor cost or productivity factor assumptions in future estimates
- Provide support to Project Managers for preparation of additional budgets, change orders or claim documentation to suit active projects.
- Assessment of local subcontractors for competency, capacity and productivity.
- Meetings with key subcontractors to ensure adequate quotes are received to maintain bid compliance and allow for cost comparison.
- Review of contract documents, assessment of project risk, and assignment of contingency as part of the estimating process
- The preparation of project and/or construction execution plans at the estimate stage.
- Review work method statements and execution plans to ensure they conform with estimate inclusions as they are modified during the kick-off & execution phases.
- Maintain various estimating spreadsheets for work of varying complexities including controls to ensure the accuracy of spreadsheet output.
- Use of estimating software when required to streamline repetitive estimation.
- Participation in lessons learned at project completion to help with verification of estimating assumptions
- Work with procurement department to obtain quotations required from vendors for materials, equipment, and services.
- Preparation of estimating status reports to aid in backlog and revenue forecasting.
- A minimum of ten (10) years experience in estimation of general contracting industrial project work with a focus on structural, piping and mechanical disciplines of work for projects up to $100MM USD.
- Preferably five (5) years experience managing a team of estimating personnel.
- Good general understanding of all engineering disciplines.
- An intermediate working knowledge of various software packages, such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Primavera.
- Must have the ability to review & interpret detailed information received from engineering firms, sub-contractors, and vendors for multi-discipline scopes of work.
- Knowledge of ASME Codes for Boiler, Pressure Vessel, & Piping work.
- Familiarity with the costs of Quality and Safety compliance.
- Excellent time management and communication skills.
- Strong work ethic and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience in claim preparation would be an asset.
- Engineering degree or diploma, or any trade experience would be an asset.
- Experience with estimating software packages would be an asset.